Skip to main content

Final holiday reflections as the new school year beckons

Well, my latest visit to Oz comes to an end tomorrow. We shall be flying back to the UK and I expect to be back in school, for some time, on Thursday, jet-lag permitting. It has been a super break for my wife and I, staying with our youngest daughter and partner based in Perth. We were here two years ago and had a great time then as well. During that trip the four of us travelled up the west coast to Exmouth, visiting some amazing places and experiencing some equally amazing sights during our two week journey in our camper-van. This time we flew to Cairns on the east coast and then spent three weeks travelling south to Sydney. This journey was different, but equally amazing, because of the experiences we had, and places we visited. We both feel as though we have had a complete break and I know I have been able to switch off after the busyness of end of term back in Scotland. This has got to be the first requirement of any holiday for teachers or principals, that we switch off, recharge our batteries, spend time with our families and remember what is truly important in our lives. Our jobs are demanding and taxing, but to perform them well we really do need to get that work/life balance equation right, and give our own well-being some thought and TLC. Mission accomplished in this respect.

I also recognise that I never really totally switch off from my role for very long. I love my job and in lots of respects it is also my hobby. I like to think about education and my role, and how it might change and be improved. I do this on my terms, because I want to. Not because someone else is telling me I ought to. So whilst in Australia I have managed a little reading, thinking, talking and collaborating around education and my leadership role. I have read a couple of books, The Moral Imperative of School Leadership by Michael Fullan and Distributed Leadership Matters by Alma Harris, two of my favourite writers and researchers in education. If you haven't already read these, I would recommend them both to teachers and school leaders. Both books were interesting and contained lots of thoughts and insights that chimed with my own beliefs, experience and practice, and I believe both will help not only my own thinking but also with a book I am currently writing on Making Sense of Practitioner Enquiry in the Classroom. I heard whilst out here that Routledge have agreed to publish this and it should be available  next year, something for me to look froward to and to focus on when I return. I also read a few papers on leadership and educational issues that had been given to me whilst here, or sent to me via Twitter. At times, depending on wifi links, I was able to keep half an eye on some of the things happening in education here in Australia, and some back home in the UK and Scotland. Amazing how similar the coverage seemed to be and the reaction from educationalists both here and at home. The latest announcement back in the UK to catch my attention is the possibility of the reintroduction of Grammar schools in the UK. Just when you think political ideology impacting on schools and children's learning couldn't get any worse, or further from what research says should happen, you are continually proven wrong! Press coverage down here has been dominated by NAPLAN results and the debate about the effectiveness, or ineffectiveness, of this approach in raising attainment and closing gaps. There are definite lessons and messages for the UK and Scotland from this debate, but that is for another time, or post.

I can deal with the shifting political and educational landscape back in the UK when I get home. Back here in Oz I have also had the opportunity to meet up with a number of educationalists from this part of the world, who had previously remained 'virtual' colleagues via Twitter. I met up with Stephen Breen, Andrea Stringer, Paul Williams and Deborah Netolicky and I am grateful to them all for giving me their time and their thoughts on education and the issues we all face. Each of them has a different role within the Australian education system and each has allowed me to tap into their perspectives and their insights. I am always reassured by the willingness of educators everywhere to connect and share and my Australian colleagues were no different. I will be in touch with them again, and many others, when I return to the UK, as we all continue to develop connections and understandings to promote system leadership and development. Andrea and I are going to be collaborating on a 'thought piece' for an International Educational Leadership journal, when hopefully we can share developments from both our systems. Whilst here I have also been able to take part in a few Twitter chats in real time, rather than late at night or early in the morning when back in the UK.

This may all sound like a lot of work-related activity whilst ostensibly on holiday. However, I have been down here for nearly six weeks and these activities have been spread across that time, so I don't feel too guilty! 

Come Thursday I expect to be back in my own schools preparing for the start of our new school year. Staff return, hopefully as refreshed as I am, next Monday and children the next day. I am already beginning to think about the start to the year. Almost twenty three hours in the air should give me more time to gather my thoughts for the start of term as well. Our school improvement plan was completed before I left for Australia but my immediate priority will be to settle our staffing ahead of the school year and begin to consider our immediate priorities in terms of getting the school year under way. The contacts I have made, and conversations I've had, will help inform my actions in those early days, either directly or indirectly through their influence on my thinking. Working in education is rewarding and incredibly challenging. The issues we face are often similar, and sometimes unique. What I do know is that the best way to deal with issues, challenges and change is through collaboration at all levels. I have been supported in my own ongoing development journey by many colleagues throughout my career and my experiences in Australia have been a continuation of that support. The ultimate beneficiaries of all that support and collaboration have been the children in the schools I lead, and the wider Scottish education system. Hopefully, I have also helped others in some way on their own development journey.

Thank you everyone in Australia, and good luck to you all if you are about to start your own school year, or if, like in Oz, you are heading towards the end of the school session. I will be back in touch when I get back to the UK. Collaboration whilst vital, needs to be part of a continuous process and part of our professional disposition, so that there are benefits for all. Watch this space.

PS Thanks to Vicky and Paul for hosting us 😊

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Six Qualities of Educational Leadership

I wrote a post a few weeks ago (The six tasks of leadership 12/12/15) following an article about Sir Tim Brighouse, who had identified what he thought were the six key tasks for school leaders. My own list was a bit different to Tim's but it also set me thinking about what might be the qualities you would look for in high performing school leaders. I give you my six as a stimulus for discussion and perhaps your own consideration of what qualities we should look for in school leaders. The first is authenticity. I believe all school leaders need to be authentic and to really walk the walk of their talk. There can be nothing so dispiriting for school community members than being led by a leader who says one thing but does another. Remember to say what you mean and mean what you say. I think the highest performing leaders possess emotional awareness. They know themselves well and they know the people they lead well too. They understand the importance of relationships and how to ta

Evaluation: a process, not an event

Throughout my time as a school leader, and since, I have wrestled with the challenge of evaluation, in terms of measuring the impact of change, in a way which is meaningful and useful . Early in my career, such evaluation was very much viewed as an event, or events, that happened towards the end of a project, or piece of work, usually occurring towards the end of a school year. This was often a time filled with lots of scrabbling around looking for 'evidence' that could be put into some sort of report aimed at different different audiences. It felt stressful, concocted at times and often disconnected from the whole change agenda. Evaluation was a thing to be endured at the end of something else, with its main purpose consisting of proving you had been doing something to different people. Some of these would take what you gave them, and put that into their own 'evaluation report' for a cluster of schools, a local authority, or even a national system. A major issue with

Some thoughts for new student teachers

  Having gained a host of new followers on Twitter, who are either completing PGDE, or other student teacher qualifications, got me thinking about the advice, thoughts, comments I would give to those embarking on their own professional learning journey.   It is heart-warming to see, and hear, the enthusiasm of new entrants into the profession. They are passionate about their career path, and are constantly enthusing about the high quality input they are receiving from lecturers, professors of education and practitioners. My first piece of advice would to use those feelings as a touchstone, to go back to and revisit, throughout your career, but especially when you are facing challenges. Teaching is one of the most satisfying and rewarding professions to be involved in, but throughout your career you will encounter a myriad of challenges, and during these times it is often worth your while reminding yourself of why you came into the profession, and re-consider your early enthusiasms.   W